Surrounded by the natural and breath-taking beauty of the Mendocino coast, visitors coming to Jug Handle Farm and Nature Center will discover not only a diversity of gardens, but also a focus on the use of local native plants.
Jug Handle farm features culinary and medicinal herb beds where you’ll find a wide variety of established perennial plants. The kitchen garden, maintained by volunteers, demonstrates examples of the vegetables and fruits that thrive on the coast.
Guests are welcome to tour the gardens, become acquainted with cultivated plants, culinary and medicinal herbs, and local native plants and see the benefit of companion planting.
Please come, relax and enjoy the fresh air and the peaceful ambiance at Jug Handle.
Native Plant Gardens and Landscaping
- Native plants are used exclusively in many of our gardens to beautify areas at Jug Handle. These gardens are located prominently along the entrance to the center, around all guest cabins, at the top of the hill, in shaded areas of the Farmhouse backyard, in the garden at Native Plant Nursery and its perimeter, and along pathways and trails.
Country Cottage Gardens
- Cottage gardens are found in front of the office, on the slope east of the office, at the top of the hill and on the north and east sides of the farm house.
Culinary and Medicinal Herb Gardens
- A caretaker’s herb garden is located on the east side of the office. A small herb garden is planted just off the deck of the farm house.
- A short walk down the path from the farm house, toward the antique apple orchard and perched on the slope is the terraced culinary and medicinal herb garden.
Kitchen – Community Vegetable Garden
- Across a small wooden bridge over a natural wetlands area, is the volunteer based organic kitchen garden adjacent to the Jug Handle native plant Nursery.